mire-poix [mir-pwah] noun

The holy trinity in French cooking: onions, carrots and celery.


Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Guu Izakaya



Over the holidays, I finally got the chance to try Guu with a few friends. When I told them that I have never eaten at Guu, their response was "You haven't been to Guu and you call yourself a foodie?" I guess they are right because there is nothing quite like it in Toronto. I mean people are still willing to line up for hours to eat at this place. It is kind of amazing.

Now onto the food. The Salmon Natto Yukke (chopped salmon sashimi with “seven friends”) was the star of the evening and it blew my mind. The dish is made with natto (Japanese product made with fermented soy beans), green onions and raw egg yolks that are mixed and wrapped in nori (Japanese seaweed). This dish has so many different layers of flavours and textures, there was definitely a party in my mouth.


We hope to try Japango next time. If you know of any good Japanese restaurants, please leave me a comment!


xoxO

No comments:

Post a Comment